Skipping Hearts, Arrhythmia Support Forums

Comments posted by users on this Website are made by individuals and reflect the userís personal opinions and NOT those of Skipping Hearts. You should not act on any advice or opinion posted on this Website. Instead, always check with your physician before taking any action as it pertains to your health. Skipping Hearts makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the use or the results of this Website in terms of its correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise. Skipping Hearts does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Website.
Join us!
We're a community of people with arrhythmias, providing knowledge, friendship and support as we all learn to manage and cope with and even settle our palpitating hearts. Joining the community is free, quick and easy. Help is just a few minutes away...
Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 PM

gc2010 is on a distinguished road
How often can you take a beta blocker as needed?

I am new here and let me tell you I already LOVE this site. I literally woke my boyfriend up to tell him about this site that someone apparently made just for me LOL.

Anyway....I have had skips on and off for as long as I can remember. I've had 3 Nuclear Stress tests, 4 Echos, 2 Holters, and way too many EKGs to count. Nothing has ever came back abnormal except a slightly enlarged heart that my cardiologist thinks was related to HBP. NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL Sometimes I have even secretly wished that they would find something wrong....bc at least if it was wrong they might be able to FIX it. Anyone else feel that way?

The last 6 months I have felt maybe 10 PVC's total. Then the last week I have started having them 4-5 times per minute....So here I am panicking and being scared and not leaving the house and omg just not living at all.

I will be upfront and honest and tell you that I have health anxiety OCD anyway....so the PVC's are exactly what I don't need. PVC=check pulse=assess breathing=check BP=another PVC=take an aspirin just in case=another PVC=check pulse=take temperature=another PVC=ETC ETC ETC I am tired to say the least.

My cardiologist gave me Atenolol and told me I could take 1/2 pill as needed. Lately I've felt like I needed it. But I've read that you can't just stop a beta blocker....so I am scared to take it too much in case my heart gets dependent on it. I asked him about it and he kind of gave me a vague answer like "it's not like you're going to take it for months and months..... just as needed."

So anyway--does anybody here take meds as needed when you get a lot of PVCs and just want them to stop? Is it ok to take it once or twice a day for a week? Or is that too long? Anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Sorry if this post is all over the place. I'm glad this website is here. I don't feel so alone anymore.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Supporter

PVCTOM is on a distinguished road
I took Atenolo for years for BP but it was once a day. now I am on Sotalol twice a day for PVC's and it does not have to bad of side effects at 80mg twice a day.
I think it is a beta blocker as well but cosidered an arrithmia drug.
you are right it is a great site glad you joined welcome.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Journal Entries: 1
jkfrench has a spectacular aura about jkfrench has a spectacular aura about
Atenolol can be taken as needed. It is given to people who have panic attacks. My friend takes 1 to 2 a day as needed for panic attacks. I take 1/2 in am and 1/2 in pm of a 25mg. I cut back when my PVCs ease up to 1/2 in the pm only. 1/2 of a 25mg is not much. My doctor told me it was safe to take it for weeks and then just wean off by taking it every other day for a few days, then every two days and so forth. Just keep an eye on your blood pressure although 1/2 should not affect it. Good luck. It does help me.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 AM

marti is on a distinguished road
My cardio doc told me I could take Propranolol as needed awhile back. Now he ordered one a day or every 8 hours. I still cut them in quarters. I hate taking meds and don't want to over medicate. The Propranolol makes me dizzy/sleepy for awhile.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Journal Entries: 20
Veestarlet is on a distinguished road
They gave me propranolol as needed for PVCs but I rarely take it. I do take .50 klonopin everyday for the anxiety/ panic disorder. I also am diagnosed OCD, because of checking. Checking my BP and pulse upwards of 50 times a day. You aren't alone!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Supporter

Journal Entries: 15
BrockDavisson is on a distinguished road
Checking your BP that many times a day is wayyyy too much... You need to give your artery time to relax or else you're gonna get a bit of false readings.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned

Samwell is on a distinguished road
I gotta take my Toprol XL every day without fail. If I miss a dose my heart rate skyrockets.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Supporter

Scoobydoo123 will become famous soon enough
No,

It takes a few days to work and to wear off…I guess depending on the type. And I think you shouldn’t stop abruptly or take a higher doze than prescribed.

Normally they are taking regularly unless you Doctor tells you to stop.

Scooby
Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 AM

Journal Entries: 1
Jampot1084 is on a distinguished road
i took propranolol on and off like i would pain killers than when they were really bad i stayed on em for a month then stopped never had a problem. untill they just stopped working for me.