Skipping Hearts, Arrhythmia Support Forums

Comments posted by users on this Website are made by individuals and reflect the userís personal opinions and NOT those of Skipping Hearts. You should not act on any advice or opinion posted on this Website. Instead, always check with your physician before taking any action as it pertains to your health. Skipping Hearts makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the use or the results of this Website in terms of its correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise. Skipping Hearts does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Website.
Join us!
We're a community of people with arrhythmias, providing knowledge, friendship and support as we all learn to manage and cope with and even settle our palpitating hearts. Joining the community is free, quick and easy. Help is just a few minutes away...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 AM

howlerbr is on a distinguished road
jogging, running and arrythmia - opinions please!

Hello! I've got really disappointed in my last talk with my cardiologist! I was used to run about 5-10km 2 or 3 days a week. But I'm not running nowadays (about 3 months without running). I stopped mainly to check if my afib would reduce. But it still the same, almost every day. In my cardiologist appointment he said that running and/or jogging are not good exercises for our health! Oh gosh... he did not said quit running directly but I understand I should never run.

For me it almost the same as cut my legs! I love to run. I did it for almost all my life (I'm currently at 36). I think the main reason he said this is because now I'm diagnosed with high pressure (not really high, but a little bit above the medium) and now I have to take medicine to control it along with aspirine every day.

Do you guys with afib (paroxysmal) run or jog? What does your cardiologist say about it?

Thanks! Luiz
Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Supporter

Journal Entries: 18
CMoore416 will become famous soon enough
Hello and welcome. I don't have afib so I can't help there. Hopefully someone will answer. Just wanted to say welcome!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Supporter

Journal Entries: 2
I Heart Radio is on a distinguished road
Hi Luiz,

I don't have afib but I do have long running PAC attacks that can last for hours some days. I am also a runner / jogger. I've asked my cardio many times if running will excite the PACs into afib by and while he can't promise it couldn't ever happen he underscores it's very unlikely and he implores me to keep running. The heart needs above all else to remain strong and fit. Running is just one way to achieve this but a good way. That said, if your doc tells you not to you should follow their advice and seek a second opinion. Don't forget there are other great aerobic/cardio exercises none the least which is simply walking fast. I find that 95% of the time when my PACs kick in I go for a run or hike and it pulls the plug on the bastards. Bottom line: listen to your doc but seek a 2nd professional opinion. I hope you can keep on running. But if you can't for some reason then simply find your new exercise calling. It's waiting for you...
B
Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 AM

Melly is on a distinguished road
I have recently heard the same thing too.....that running can be damaging to the heart. This is what an ER doctor told me. But he emphasized that this applies to long-distance marathon running.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Supporter

Journal Entries: 11
DaniRae will become famous soon enough DaniRae will become famous soon enough
I think any extreme athletics (running for VERY long distances, NFL, NHL etc) can be harmful because it puts sooo much stress on the heart but just normal every other day running for a few miles? No way. My doc told me while excersize in a stimulant its one he would in no way want me NOT to do. He said get our there and work it! LOL