Skipping Hearts, Arrhythmia Support Forums

Comments posted by users on this Website are made by individuals and reflect the userís personal opinions and NOT those of Skipping Hearts. You should not act on any advice or opinion posted on this Website. Instead, always check with your physician before taking any action as it pertains to your health. Skipping Hearts makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the use or the results of this Website in terms of its correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise. Skipping Hearts does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Website.
Join us!
We're a community of people with arrhythmias, providing knowledge, friendship and support as we all learn to manage and cope with and even settle our palpitating hearts. Joining the community is free, quick and easy. Help is just a few minutes away...
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 AM

Claudia is on a distinguished road
Plagued by PVC's at Night

Do any of you find that your PVC's are much worse at night? They've really started to disrupt my sleep the past year or so. It's not every night, but it's enough. Last night was another such night. Up almost all night, even though I was exhausted. Just as I'm drifting off to sleep, I get the sensation of my heart stopping, which jolts me awake. Sometimes it makes me literally jump up in bed and wakes up my husband. Last night was so bad that I was completely exhausted and had to call in sick to work because I just couldn't make it.

Any advice?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 AM
Admin
Supporter

Journal Entries: 29
Jeff is on a distinguished road
For all the reading I've done, there's something about the PVCs at night that I just don't understand. Once our kids are in bed I'll sometimes lay in our bed for 20 minutes or so, turn on the TV just to unwind a little bit, and I'll have some skips and sometimes a few fast beats kick in.

There have also been times when I wake up in the middle of the night, not because of any PVCs, but once I'm awake I can feel my heart jumping around in there. Most times I'm too groggy to wake completely up and I just drift back to sleep. But not always.

How much sleep do you usually get? What kind of routine do you have the few hours before bedtime?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:58 PM

Aside from when I get these bad bouts (which can last several days and result in several consecutive really bad nights), I don't really have any trouble sleeping. I never nap and I usually like to have wind-down time with a good book until I get really tired. They just get so much more intense at night sometimes and sometimes (though rare), they'll even jolt me out of a deep sleep. It's really exhausting, though, when they won't let me fall asleep. Usually it continues until about 3 or 4 in the morning when I'm so tired that I FINALLY succumb to my fatigue and just fall asleep. Then they will calm down to the point that when I wake up, I usually still have them but they're pretty weak and I just feel a sort of weak/shaky sensation in my chest. Then I go about my daily routine and they intensify as the day goes on and sometimes, unfortunately, the pattern will repeat itself for several nights.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Admin
Supporter

Are you working on a particularly difficult project at work? I know that kind of thing is true for me - during those times the PVCs aren't quite as bad at night, but shortly after I wake up in the morning I can feel them start and they just keep increasing in frequency until by about 10am I'm having them every 4-6 beats.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 PM

Journal Entries: 1
jkfrench has a spectacular aura about jkfrench has a spectacular aura about
I just had a doctor tell me that PVC's are very common at night, once we lie down and are very common during sleep and can wake us from sleep. However, he also said that we could be having just as many during the day and we don't notice it. This is because our systems slow down at night and the PVC's are more pronounced.
Regardless...his exact words were
"PVC's whether they come at night or during the day are of virtually no diagnostic nor prognostic value at all. They occur in everyone in various sorts of patterns, and again, absent any structural or neurocardiological disease, they have no real meaning. They can, however, be very alarming when they occur, and can provoke a good deal of anxiety which, unforntunately, causes the release of adrenaline, which in turn makes the heart muscle more irritable, and often thus sets off yet more PVCs, sometimes making the sufferer a nervous wreck. This is truly unfortunate because PVCs have no meaning at all".
Yes, I made him repeat it over and over until I got it all on paper. lol
Jodie
Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 AM

Jeff,

I had a moderately stressful week, but the strange thing is that it sometimes hits me once the stress has passed and I was much more relaxed. So I've never been able to establish any real pattern.

Jodie,

I think that it's true I'm probably having about as many during the day as at night and they just feel more intense at night. The worst thing for me is the stopping sensation. To me, it's worse than the jolt or skipping sensation.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 PM

jkfrench has a spectacular aura about jkfrench has a spectacular aura about
I totally agree with you. The paus is the worst. For me, when the pause is really bad, I get the strangest sensation that I have about a few more seconds to live. I just feel numb when it happens. It is hard to explain.
I also have these PVC's hit me after a stressful situation, not during. I have to think back to what might have started them up.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Admin
Supporter

It's funny Claudia - If I'm thrown into a situation without time to prepare for it, I'm fine. Once I'm in it I just react as best I can and move on. But then afterward I think of all the things I could have said or done, should have said or done, what will happen the next time I'm in that situation, I get stuck in a mental loop, and then I start having the PVCs.

Or, if I have lots of time to prepare for a stressful situation, then my heart can usually put on a good show during the stressful time, because my brain had adequate prep time.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:45 PM

Katydid is on a distinguished road
I wish I could make sense of when I get them. Sometimes I'm stressed, sometimes I'm not. I get to the point sometimes where Im willing to try almost anything to make these things go away!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM

poohbear2026 is on a distinguished road
I get them after a stressful situation also. Just like this week, I had the cardiac MRI and was scared to death leading up to it. Now that it is over and I got a good report...my heart has been beating around 100 bpm and skipping every few beats since Wed. Its driving me crazy.