Skipping Hearts, Arrhythmia Support Forums

Comments posted by users on this Website are made by individuals and reflect the userís personal opinions and NOT those of Skipping Hearts. You should not act on any advice or opinion posted on this Website. Instead, always check with your physician before taking any action as it pertains to your health. Skipping Hearts makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the use or the results of this Website in terms of its correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise. Skipping Hearts does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Website.
Join us!
We're a community of people with arrhythmias, providing knowledge, friendship and support as we all learn to manage and cope with and even settle our palpitating hearts. Joining the community is free, quick and easy. Help is just a few minutes away...
Old 01-08-2012, 04:02 PM

shellylabelle is on a distinguished road
Propranolol and PVC's

HI Everyone,
I have been on propranolol 30 mg a day since mid-October for PVCs and occassional racing heart. I used to a vague flutter in my sternum before I knew about my PVCs. Now, they are much more strong and I panic whenever I feel one.
I just wonder if I went completely off my propranolol, would my PVCs be less noticeable?

Thanks

Comments on this post
Susie agrees: Welcome, you find a lot of help here. I do not meds for mine, I have heard they do not help a lot, but, I wish I could find something, even natural only works so long for me.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM

dr461 is on a distinguished road
The problem with using drugs to suppress PVCs is that they work occasionally. Generally, the beta blockers make one less panicked about the ectopic beats, but they don't necessarily decrease frequency or occurrence. It is very hit or miss as to how well it works. My cardiologist says that he's had very limited success with using Beta Blockers to control PVCs during his 31 years as a practicing cardiologist, and thinks the side effects can outweigh benefits for some people.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Debbie is on a distinguished road
Hi!

I'm new on here as well and second what dr461 said. My cardiologist said the exact same thing. Extremely limited success with side effects that can be more worrisome than the palps, PVC's and fluttering. She also said that medication for anxiety as well as beta blockers will make you less anxious about the palps but will not affect the severity or occurance of them, just make you feel less anxious.

Regards, Debbie
Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 AM

Amen to what Debbie says. As a performing musician, I KNOW many people (not me) who use Beta Blockers for performance anxiety, as it slows down the heart, minimizes reaction to ephedrine release (stops the adrenaline rushes), and creates a feeling of calm. My doctor is vehemently opposed to the use of Beta Blockers for anything but blood pressure control, and he has better choices than that (according to him). On the other hand, Jodie speaks of great results with small doses of Betas. So, it is definitely an individual thing, but great results across the board are not the overall outcome, according to many cardio doctors.

Last edited by dr461; 01-09-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 PM

Journal Entries: 1
jkfrench has a spectacular aura about jkfrench has a spectacular aura about
Yes, but very small doses. In my 20's I was actually able to keep the SVT and PVC's at bay with just 1/4 of a 25mg of atenolol. Now I take 1/4 at 8am, 1/4 at 2pm and 1/4 at 8pm so I am up to 3/4 of the 25mg. Still a small dose and it does help. But, I also had the SVT and that is what I really started taking it for.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Supporter

Journal Entries: 11
DaniRae will become famous soon enough DaniRae will become famous soon enough
Hi girly!!! told you would love this site, so glad you took me up on coming over. It's a huge help, everyone here can totally relate to what you are going through
Old 01-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfrench View Post
Yes, but very small doses. In my 20's I was actually able to keep the SVT and PVC's at bay with just 1/4 of a 25mg of atenolol. Now I take 1/4 at 8am, 1/4 at 2pm and 1/4 at 8pm so I am up to 3/4 of the 25mg. Still a small dose and it does help. But, I also had the SVT and that is what I really started taking it for.
I think that is the recommended way to do it. I have high blood pressure, and have had it since age 22, despite exercise and weight control. However, my doctor prefers Calcium Channel Blockers for BP control, and does not use Betas, as he thinks they make people too sleepy and do not work on PVCs. For the people that it seems to help, small doses such as Jodie recommends seems to work, according to what I read and have heard from friends.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM

Amanda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniRae View Post
Hi girly!!! told you would love this site, so glad you took me up on coming over. It's a huge help, everyone here can totally relate to what you are going through
I Concur
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM

Journal Entries: 1
Jampot1084 is on a distinguished road
Hi there, I take propranolol for PVCs as and when needed I take a 10mg tablet which is a small dose I find that most of the time after about 30 mins the PVCs settle down slightly I still get them but they are less forceful than if I don't take the propranolol. But I wonder sometimes if that is because I might be slightly more relaxed when I have taken them
Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampot1084 View Post
Hi there, I take propranolol for PVCs as and when needed I take a 10mg tablet which is a small dose I find that most of the time after about 30 mins the PVCs settle down slightly I still get them but they are less forceful than if I don't take the propranolol. But I wonder sometimes if that is because I might be slightly more relaxed when I have taken them
So, basically you are suppressing them as opposed to treating them, as nothing really treats them. This is what typically happens.