Skipping Hearts, Arrhythmia Support Forums

Comments posted by users on this Website are made by individuals and reflect the userís personal opinions and NOT those of Skipping Hearts. You should not act on any advice or opinion posted on this Website. Instead, always check with your physician before taking any action as it pertains to your health. Skipping Hearts makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the use or the results of this Website in terms of its correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise. Skipping Hearts does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Website.
Join us!
We're a community of people with arrhythmias, providing knowledge, friendship and support as we all learn to manage and cope with and even settle our palpitating hearts. Joining the community is free, quick and easy. Help is just a few minutes away...
Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Supporter

Journal Entries: 18
CMoore416 will become famous soon enough
Pros and cons of beta blockers?

Can you share the pros and cons of beta blockers? After the few days I've had I am seriously thinking about them. I have low bp though do wasnt sure. Plus I have a health anxiety anyway and have always hated feeling side effects of meds etc and that alone causes me anxiety. I'm kind of torn because on one hand if it's not going to make them go away why bother. But my aunt takes them and never has PVC's anymore so is it a possibility it will eliminate them? I'm so torn. Taking meds has always been hard for me. I had to take thyroid meds for 4 years and first med I was allergic too and second one was fine. I had a friend at 17 take a medicine because his HR was too fast and he had an adverse reaction to it and it made him have a heart attack and die. This was 25 years ago so I'm assuming it wasn't a beta blocker but something else??? This is why I'm so afraid to take the Beta Blocker.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

Journal Entries: 1
mairegra will become famous soon enough
I am weaning off Beta Blockers and don't feel much difference in PVCs. I know they work for some. Beta Blockers were around 25 years ago but in the absence of other problems would not likely have caused your friend's death (sorry about your friend). Don't want to pry into your personal life but was just wondering if this had an impact on you. If so some therapy may help. I had a cousin that I was extremely close to killed when I was 16 and he was 19 and have never got passed it (more than 40 years later) and go to therapy. I know this affected the way I feel and my health and anxiety. Back to beta blockers. It depends on the strength and how low your blood pressure is. I am on a low dose of metoprolol any higher dose or even changing to another one makes me feel very wheezy and short of breathe within a day. I would say make sure you discuss with your doctor and maybe start with a very low dose, something like 1/2 a 25 mg pill. Good luck feel better.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM

dr461 is on a distinguished road
My family doctor, and my cardio doctor see very little value in Beta Blockers for PVC control. They can work well for blood pressure, and racing pulse issues, as they slow down the heart, and do suppress adrenaline. They definitely will work on the panic feelings, as they work to counteract the adrenaline surges in the bloodstream. As regards eliminating PVCs, they are of very mixed effectiveness--sometimes they work, but usually not.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Supporter

Thanks for the info. My friends passing doesn't effect me now however there are many things from my last that do. I am in therapy thank goodness!! Lol I grew up with a excessive worry mother and my parents fought apt. I had stomach issues from stress. My gpa died of a heart attack unexpectantly, my 2 gmas died of stroke and cancer. My dad had cancer And PVC's and anxiety run rampant in females on my moms side. I stress easily and don't cope wellol so I have a lot of therapy needs

On the Beta Blocker subject my GP said I could take as needed but my cardiologist said it's pointless since it's to prevent them from starting. Which one is true?

I dont have fast pulse only sometimes when anxious and my Bp is usually between 95-110/50-60 so not sure which direction to go ...Beta Blocker or anxiety meds
Old 11-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Supporter

Journal Entries: 11
DaniRae will become famous soon enough DaniRae will become famous soon enough
My doc told me they help for anxiety but not for depression because they make you more sluggish, even run down feeling. I have also heard that they do not help much with PVCs, only the racing heart etc. My doc won't give them to me.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Katie will become famous soon enough
My doctor said they can cause rhythm disturbances and try to not prescribe unless absolutely necessary and then they try to wean you after awhile if possible. My doc also said that they make you so low energy most people find it to be too much if they have depressive tendencies.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:34 PM

jkfrench has a spectacular aura about jkfrench has a spectacular aura about
I guess it just depends on how sensitive you are and how much you need. I am very sensitive to any type of medication. However, I have taken a 25mg of atenolol and broken it up in quarters for over 15 years. I take 1/4 in the morning, 1/4 in the afternoon and 1/4 before bed. This seems to help with my PVCs although it is mainly for my brief episodes of PAT (SVT). So I take about 19mg a day and I don't have any problems at all. As Mary says, if you decide to try a beta blocker start out on a very small dose like I did. That might be all you need.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 PM

dr461 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
On the Beta Blocker subject my GP said I could take as needed but my cardiologist said it's pointless since it's to prevent them from starting. Which one is true?
I don't think this is very accurate. For some people, PVCs are suppressed by Beta Blockers. How would someone take them by preventing them from starting, unless you had them to begin with? Something is garbled with that logic--they do work for some folks, but not for many.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Supporter

No I mean to supress a large run of them I guess
Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

mairegra will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMoore416 View Post
No I mean to suppress a large run of them I guess
Beta blockers have an immediate effect but also have a cumulative effect. I think it would be something that you would have to experiment with to see what works for you. Of course dependent on other factors such as BP.