Skipping Hearts, Arrhythmia Support Forums

Comments posted by users on this Website are made by individuals and reflect the userís personal opinions and NOT those of Skipping Hearts. You should not act on any advice or opinion posted on this Website. Instead, always check with your physician before taking any action as it pertains to your health. Skipping Hearts makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the use or the results of this Website in terms of its correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise. Skipping Hearts does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Website.
Join us!
We're a community of people with arrhythmias, providing knowledge, friendship and support as we all learn to manage and cope with and even settle our palpitating hearts. Joining the community is free, quick and easy. Help is just a few minutes away...
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM

Journal Entries: 1
Jampot1084 is on a distinguished road
Thousands of pvcs a day

Hello, I am new to this site this is my first post. I am 28 tomorrow and have been suffering from PVCs for over a year now they came on out of the blue one day and I was having constant bigeminty. I have seen a cardiologist who said I am having PVCs it can disappear well not totally on my good days I have a few hundred PVCs but right now I am having constat bigeminty this is the 3rd day running I feel like screaming. Is this really ok.? This can't be good for my heart? Will I die young? I live most days in fear that each day could be my last what if my heart don't beat again after that pause then bang there it goes again then pause then bang there it goes again. Please help I am so worried I am a nervous wreck at the . Does anyone else have this many
How do u ignore them?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM

dr461 is on a distinguished road
Dear Jampot,
Yes, lots of us are in the "thousands" grouping. I have had that for years. It is totally common, and after having every test in the book, and a comprehensive checkup in the cardiac unit of the local hospital by a top cardiologist, I was pronounced "fine." Frequent PVCs are not unusual, nor are they any more dangerous than one or two a day, if the heart is structurally normal. My doctor terms it "nature's way of compensating for electrical impulses" and has seen it in many people during his 31 years of cardiology practice. I can have a day with constant bigeminy, trigeminy, or irregular skips (like every 8th, 12th or 4th, at random). It is no worse for your heart than anything else--the worry is the worst part for all of us. Please don't spend time googling the scary boards out there, as a lot of ignorant people post all sorts of ludicrous, unmedically verified information. I am a frequent PVCer, and I believe that Jeff has been also. It is common, so if you have had the tests, worry not. Increase in PVCs is tied to stress, adrenaline rushes in the body, and many other factors, and absent of heart disease, is normal.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM

Thank you so much it's so nice to hear from people with the same thing. Do you ever get use to this? And have you found anything that helps when they are bad? I am on propranolol as and when needed but yesterday and today they have not helped at all I am still getting constant PVCs every other beat.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Katie will become famous soon enough
Wow. I know that has got to be stressful. I was having PVCs for 12 staight hours and was going crazy. I couldn't sleep through them they were so disturbing. Have you tried briskly walking to burn off the adrenaline? Have you been able to sleep?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampot1084 View Post
Thank you so much it's so nice to hear from people with the same thing. Do you ever get use to this? And have you found anything that helps when they are bad? I am on propranolol as and when needed but yesterday and today they have not helped at all I am still getting constant PVCs every other beat.
I find that 1 mg of Magnesium helps minimize them for me. Moreover, deep breathing and the relaxation response works for me to suppress the fight or flight instincts. In addition, I take Xanax PRN (as needed), and work on Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Ignoring PVCs (the hardest thing in the world) helps the most. They come and go, and I've had weeks and months without them. First bit of advice--DO NOT take your pulse and watch them as the more they are watched, the more you get.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM

I have been struggling to sleep but watching tv takin my mind off it a kinda manage t fall asleep. How do you manage to keep yours under control? How long have you been having them?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 PM

I find that the PVCs almost dissapear when exercising but as soon as I stop they are back. I have a 2year old gorgeous baby girl and am so terrified that these beats will stop my heart and scared I will not see her grow up. I also want another baby but am also worried that the eptopics will get worse as I have read that pregnancy can make them worse. I have been told over and over again by doctors and the cardiologist that they will not kill me and to ignore them but it's impossible at the minuite.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampot1084 View Post
I have been struggling to sleep but watching tv takin my mind off it a kinda manage t fall asleep. How do you manage to keep yours under control? How long have you been having them?
I have had them for years and years. Had my first workup 7 years ago, and then again two years ago. Cardiologist finally said he doesn't want to see me--nothing malicious, just doesn't need to see me as condition is totally normal. I try not to think about them--occupy myself in other aspects of my life. In addition, therapy, CBT, and drug therapy has helped.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Dragonfly2756 is on a distinguished road
Welcome...

I have had them since I was 12. Ironically, they virtually went away with my first baby.

I did have them with my second....but guess what? I'm still here!! Please don't put off having another child because of this.....you will be ok!!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Amanda is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. Youll find lots of hope and support here